What is Mental Health Consultation?
It’s a consult with a therapist who isn’t your therapist. Think of it like clinical triage.
Sometimes we all need an outside perspective when we’re not sure what to do next.
Reasons you may benefit from a mental health consultation session include:
- If you want an outside perspective or a different context about your current concerns, struggles, and/or circumstances,
- If you want to know what type of of therapy could be best suited for your situation,
- If you are trying to decide between therapy or coaching to move you towards your goals,
- If you have someone in your life you are concerned about and want to know what options are available for you and for them,
- Or if you have specific questions about your situation but are not sure if you are ready for the commitment of therapy or coaching yet.
This is how I can help.
I am no longer taking on new clinical clients beyond my existing caseload. However, in my 15 years of therapeutic work and teaching I’ve found that information is power. Some people can make significant shifts, while gaining clarity and insight, from a single session. Consulting sessions are a short-term catalyst that allow me to share my clinical experience with those looking for direction and insight, with the understanding they would connect with someone else for the longer-term depth work often required.
What happens in these sessions?
First off, you would take some time to fill out an intake form and determine your goals for the session. Once there, we’ll explore your concerns and I’ll offer you feedback and recommendations on ways you could move forward and/or explore potential roadblocks to progress.
This feedback may take a few different forms:
- Psycho-education about your concern or questions so you can feel empowered to make future decisions,
- Recommendations for books you could read to learn more about yourself and your circumstances,
- Exploration of exercises or activities to support healing and/or growth,
- Suggestions for types of therapy or other modalities that might be useful for you as you move toward your goals,
- Assistance with referrals to other professionals.
How long / how much is our session?
Sessions are 90min long to allow us time to explore your current situation and allow time for recommendations about next steps. Initial consultation sessions cost $250 (reg $375).
Can I come back for more sessions?
If the work you want to do is best addressed in an on-going therapy relationship, I serve you best by helping you find a long(er) term therapist that you can continue to work if needed. I have a large referrals network of counsellors and resources so will do my best give you suggestions that would suit your needs. However, we can discuss the possibility for a follow-up session if appropriate.
What Mental Health Consulting is not:
This service is not meant to replace therapeutic work. This is not a quick fix but instead the beginning of change. Also, I work from a non-pathologizing perspective i.e. I believe we are all the way we are for very good reasons and we don’t need labels to move towards wellness. Our reactions are often a normal and reasonable reaction to life’s crazy circumstances, even when they don’t make sense to us or those around us. Due to this, Mental Health Consulting should not be viewed as a formal “mental health assessment”, nor will it provide a mental health diagnosis for your current concerns.